India is agriculture based economy having a production of 63.5 million tons of fruits and 125.89 million tons of vegetables, every year. India is also the largest producer of milk (105 million metric tons per year) and produces 6.5 million tons of meat and poultry and 6.1 million tons of fish. In addition to huge size of agro industry, the pharmaceuticals industry in India is the world’s third largest in terms of volume and stands 14th in terms of value.
Top Users of Cold Chain:
Some of the top industries who are biggest users/buyers of cold chain and related technologies:
- Dairy & Ice Cream
- Frozen Food
- Fruit & Vegetables
- Poultry & Sea Food
Indian Agriculture Industry at a Glance
- World’s largest producer of fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, spices and select fresh meats.
- Largest producer of several staples such as millets and castor oil seed.
- World’s largest producer of several dry fruits, agriculture-based textile raw materials, roots and tuber crops and eggs.
- Amongst world’s largest producers of livestock and poultry meat, with one of the fastest growth rates, as of 2011.
- Aquaculture and catch fishery is amongst the fastest growing industries in India. Between 1990 and 2010.
- Indian fish capture harvest doubled, while aquaculture harvest tripled.
- India exported 600,000 metric tonnes of fish products to nearly half of all the world’s countries.
India has the potential to become one of the world’s major food suppliers. Efficient cold chain network will contribute in preventing spoilage of almost 40 percent of its total agricultural production.
There is an immediate need for investment & modernization of existing cold chain facilities.